Society of Business Communication Students
|Official Website||Coming soon!|
The Society of Business Communication Students (SOBCS) was established on 8th August, 2013. It was formed by a group of Bachelor of Business Communication students to promote the welfare of students. Membership of the society is open to all students pursuing business communication. Members are required to pay a fee amounting to K1, 000.00 per year. As provided by the society's constitution, every member of SOBCS shall be registered and be ready to pay an irrevocable annual subscription fee to be determined by the executive committee (Article 6, section b).
To be a hub of excellence in the provision of professional communication skills at Polytechnic, a constituent college of the University of Malawi (UNIMA).
To create a platform for developing skills and applying knowledge to bridge any communication gap and to set standards for effective communication.
- To promote the business communication program at the Polytechnic and to prospective students.
- To create a conducive studying environment for its members with the intention of bracing them for the challenging positions they may hold in the society.
- To familiarize its members with the business world, its norms, ethics, opportunities and threats therein.
- To facilitate the exchange of ideas between business communication students and the industry with the intention of exposing students to the current business environment.
Just as any other entity SOBCS has a governance structure that helps it to fulfill its objectives which are in line with its vision and mission statements. The society has a patron (Dr. Murendehle Juwayeyi) who is appointed by the Head of Language and Communication Department. Apart from the patron, there is an executive committee which consist of the following members:
- The President
- Vice President
- General Secretary
- Publicity Secretary
- Four committee members.
The executive committee is vested with powers to run the society on behalf of members. It is elected through a voting process and is mandated to serve for one year.
Since the establishment of the society, many activities have been conducted.
The notable ones are:
- Get togethers.
- Trips (trip to Mulanje).
- Motivatinal talks by guest speakers.
- Welcoming functions especially for the first years.
- Social responsibility activities, i.e., reach out and touch (to be held soon).